Thursday, April 12, 2007

Meeting the family


Relationships are a complicated thing. Of course when you first start dating that person you don’t realize that you are now dating one of a set, the set being the family. But when do you realize that you are going to have to meet the other parts of set? This also leads to how are you going to act, what are you going to wear, or even if you get a choice; they might just pop up out of nowhere and have a ‘surprise’ first meeting. Whenever you finally meet the family the situation always seems awkward, well for me anyways.

I will say that nobody is ever prepared to meet the family of their lover. When I first met my boyfriends family they made me feel at home, but I still was nervous. Even now I act a little shy around them and we’ve been dating for almost two years. But you still have to take into account that you have to be respectful of what you say around them and you are still representing your family, no matter how crazy they are.

But there always comes a time when you see that the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree. When you get to see how the mother or father acts, I mean really see their true colors, you get to thinking. Will my mate act like that when we get that age? Or does he/she act like that now but we just don’t see it that way, we take it as being cute because we are so in love with that person. How do you know if the family likes you, but then decides later on that you are not good enough for their family? But then again not all families are like that. And for the ones that are that bad, you just have take it one day at a time, and hopefully you can move far, far away from them as soon as possible.

4 comments:

adesulu said...

Love and happiness. Got a little Al Green in ya. Metting parents gets me nervous just like anything else. Its alway been smooth though. Anyway good job

The Nurse All Dressed In White said...

I know exactley what you mean. When I first met my boyfriend's parents, I was nervous but they were very nice to me. It took a while to warm up to them because naturally I'm a very shy person. I even remember them thinking I was a little immature because all I would do is giggle around them. I was just shy and couldn't comment really on anything. Now, they pretty much adore me! Over all, great job on the blog!

Cap'n Fatback said...

Love the Al Green comment, Mr. A.

Tiffany-- Your blog looks great, and the writing is crisp (a couple slight errors, but nothing major). My suggestion for taking the next step is to add the needed detail to your posts. This post could use a horror story example of an "apple doesn't fall too far from the tree" variety, either from your experience or someone else's. Such stories add credibility to your blog and make them more enjoyable to read.

Be prepared to add links to your text next time! 5/5

Shannon said...

I understand how you felt when you meet your boyfriends family. When I first meet my boyfriends family I was only supposed to meet his parents, but when I walked into the door I got a big surprised. I walked into a house with his brothers and sisters staring at me. When I feeling meet his mom she told me that the whole family wanted to meet me at once. Talk about being shy, I just sat there and listened to them talk, and when I was asked a question I would answer it. Meeting the family is a scary thing but now I know I can be myself around them and they will accept me for it.